Definition of overprescribe in English:
Prescribe (a drug or treatment) in greater amounts or on more occasions than necessary: doctors have been overprescribing antibiotics for decades
More example sentences
- Antimicrobial drugs are overprescribed and inappropriately used.
- Older adults often are overprescribed antibiotics for treatment of chronic coughs with thickened sputum.
- Physicians overprescribe antibiotics because of patient demand and fear of lawsuits.
- Example sentences
- When people talk about Ritalin the immediate reaction is that there is overprescription.
- ‘For sheer overprescription, no doctor can touch the American farmer,’ reported Newsweek.
- While the public concerns itself with overprescription, about half of children with ADHD go without treatment in a given year.
Definition of overprescribe in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia