Definition of overrepresent in English:
1Include a disproportionately large number of (a particular category or type of person), as in a statistical study.
- He commented that an effort is made not to over-represent a particular demographic, but that it is true that ‘many notes are from people that are downtrodden or disenfranchised.’
- This distribution over-represents pre-registration house officers, who make up 10% of the trainee population.
- It over-represents the status quo, the ideological middle, and the wealthy, and leaves everyone else unrepresented.
1.1 (be overrepresented) Form a disproportionately large percentage: they are relatively overrepresented in semiskilled occupations
More example sentences
- Managerial and middle-class occupations are over-represented in its ranks, while the working class is proportionately under-represented.
- Table 6 tells us that, based upon this sample of occupations, immigrants make up a small share of employment in occupations that are growing rapidly and are over-represented in occupations that are labor intensive.
- However, although more women are undertaking non-traditional degrees, they continue to be under-represented in the degrees expected to lead to higher paying occupations, and over-represented in those expected to be lower paying.
- Example sentences
- We have come a long way but still have much to overcome, particularly in our overrepresentation in the criminal justice system and lack of access to adequate education.
- So instead of underrepresentation in the Senate, they want 10-fold overrepresentation in the Senate.
- The overrepresentation of minorities in the Army is often cited as proof of the continuing struggle for people of color in the mainstream economy.
Definition of overrepresent in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan