past and past participle of overshoot.
1(Of a waterwheel) turned by water falling onto it from an overhead channel.
- On some estates, larger, more powerful mills with as many as three linked vertical overshot wheels were used.
- The mill was demolished after the First World War. It had an overshot waterwheel of 15 feet diameter.
- The overshot wheel is the most common wheel seen in North America. It is a gravity wheel. This means that it harnesses the force of gravity acting vertically on the water as it travels from the top to the bottom of the wheel.
2Denoting an upper jaw that projects beyond the lower jaw.
- I've had an overshot jaw for most my life, and it hasn't bothered me.
- If your dog has an undershot or an overshot jaw typically it is not a cause for alarm unless it is making your dog uncomfortable.
Definition of overshot in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.