Definition of overweening in English:
Showing excessive confidence or pride: overweening ambition
More example sentences
- They do not look for, do not see, and do not achieve insight into their fatal flaws - arrogance, overweening pride, hypocrisy, ineptitude, and, increasingly, irrelevance.
- There, culture is seen as synonymous with the country's national identity, with its almost arrogant self-belief, and with an overweening pride in its own achievements.
- We organised races, and spurred by overweening confidence, tested the crafts' stability by standing on the seats and swaying until tipped into the cold water.
- Example sentences
- He seemed alarmingly and repugnantly, overweeningly, to believe that he was a great poet; so he thought he could pretty well do what he liked.
- ‘Our support for a Conservative victory - which we concede is unlikely - is superseded by an even greater imperative: to diminish the power of an overweeningly arrogant Prime Minister and restore a healthy democracy to this country.’
- At size 8, I had to admit, I was so self-conscious (and secretly, overweeningly proud of it) that often that was all I was.
Words that rhyme with overweeninggreening, leaning, meaning, screening, spring-cleaning
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.