Definition of oviparous in English:
(Of a bird, etc.) producing young by means of eggs that are hatched after they have been laid by the parent. Compare with viviparous and ovoviviparous.
- In contrast, our experimental study of an oviparous species that does not have parental care is of considerable interest, as any observed family resemblance is likely to be less dependent on pre- and postnatal influences.
- In oviparous species, females can enhance reproductive success by investing in the size, quality, and number of eggs.
- The regulation of hatching behavior in oviparous animals is important for successful reproduction, but is poorly understood.
- Example sentences
- Most catsharks have a system called single oviparity, in which an egg develops inside each oviduct and is deposited outside the female, remaining attached to the substrate until it hatches.
- Given the combination of oviparity, large clutch size, and large adult size, juveniles likely predominated in standing hadrosaur populations.
- By closely examining the nests of birds, we get a glimpse of solutions to the general problems associated with oviparity.
Definition of oviparous in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan