Definition of oviposit in English:
verb (oviposits, ovipositing, oviposited)[no object] Zoology
(Especially of an insect) lay an egg or eggs.
- Examples include butterflies ovipositing on host plants, beetles and flies on dung pats, parasitoid wasps on insect hosts, and many insects on seeds or fruit.
- Potential egg layers were given 10 days in the oviposition chambers to oviposit.
- Females oviposit and larvae develop solely in the fruit.
- Example sentences
- The dissection of larvae revealed that multiple ovipositions into a single host did not occur in our experiments.
- These are either the time until the first oviposition on a patch, or the time between ovipositions.
- It is known, for example, that male crickets transfer substances in their ejaculates that stimulate egg production and oviposition in females.
Definition of oviposit in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan