A nocturnal bird of prey with large forward-facing eyes surrounded by facial disks, a hooked beak, and typically a loud call.
- Order Strigiformes: families Strigidae (typical owls such as tawny owls and eagle owls) and Tytonidae (barn owls and their relatives)
More example sentences
- Flammulated Owls are small owls with short ear-tufts that can be held erect or flush to the head.
- Common predators of house sparrows include cats and other mammalian predators, birds of prey, and owls.
- The great majority of past studies in this area have been on birds of prey and owls.
Old English ūle, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch uil and German Eule, from a base imitative of the bird's call.
Definition of owl in:
- The British & World English dictionary