- An enzyme that promotes the transfer of a hydrogen atom from a particular substrate to an oxygen molecule, forming water or hydrogen peroxide.More example sentences
- Polyphenol oxidase is the enzyme that makes phenolics react to form brown pigments.
- Despite many important advances in the understanding of terminal oxidases, the mechanism by which the electron transfer events are coupled to proton translocation is unknown.
- Briefly, plasma lactic acid is converted to pyruvate and hydrogen peroxide by lactate oxidase.
late 19th century: from French oxydase, from oxyde 'oxide'.
More definitions of oxidaseDefinition of oxidase in:
- The British & World English dictionary