Definition of oxlip in English:
1A woodland Eurasian primula with yellow flowers that hang down one side of the stem.
- Primula elatior, family Primulaceae
- I know a bank where the wild thyme blows, where oxlips and the nodding violet grows…
- The people of Bardfield collected arms full of oxlips with which to decorate their church at Easter.
1.1 (also false oxlip) A natural hybrid between a primrose and a cowslip.
- The Cowslip Count took place in the spring of 2000 and we received data on over 2,000 places around the UK where cowslips, primroses and false oxlips are growing.
- Cowslips and primroses can hybridise, resulting in ‘false oxlips’.
Old English oxanslyppe, from oxa 'ox' + slyppe 'slime'; compare with cowslip.
Definition of oxlip in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia