1A woodland Eurasian primula with yellow flowers that hang down one side of the stem.
- Primula elatior, family Primulaceae
- I know a bank where the wild thyme blows, where oxlips and the nodding violet grows…
- The people of Bardfield collected arms full of oxlips with which to decorate their church at Easter.
1.1 (also false oxlip) A natural hybrid between a primrose and a cowslip.
- The Cowslip Count took place in the spring of 2000 and we received data on over 2,000 places around the UK where cowslips, primroses and false oxlips are growing.
- Cowslips and primroses can hybridise, resulting in ‘false oxlips’.
Old English oxanslyppe, from oxa 'ox' + slyppe 'slime'; compare with cowslip.
Definition of oxlip in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.