A brown African bird related to the starlings, feeding on parasites that infest the skins of large grazing mammals.
- Genus Buphagus, family Sturnidae (or Buphagidae): two species
More example sentences
- Clouds of oxpeckers chirp above the buffalo, while cattle egrets, a series of white splashes, rise and fall at their feet.
- We were on our second day, descended a hill when we spotted four redbilled oxpeckers riding a white rhino, busily probing folds of skin, ears and even nostrils for ticks, their primary food source.
- The red-billed oxpecker keeps ticks and other vermin from the skin.
Definition of oxpecker in:
- The British & World English dictionary