A widely distributed edible fungus that has a grayish-brown, oyster-shaped cap and a very short or absent stem, growing on the wood of broadleaved trees and causing rot.
- Pleurotus ostreatus, family Pleurotaceae, class Hymenomycetes
More example sentences
- For example the oyster fungus, often called the oyster mushroom, has a very short, offset stem.
- Blue Valley Gardens brings about a dozen crops to market each year - broiler chickens and eggs, strawberries, Shiitake and oyster mushrooms, spinach, broccoli, potatoes, garlic and herbs.
- This evening I served the steak with pak choi, oyster mushrooms, snow peas, slow roasted tomatoes, soya and lime vinaigrette and horseradish oil.
Definition of oyster mushroom in:
- The British & World English dictionary