- A lawn game similar to boules, played chiefly in Provence.More example sentences
- The image of Gitanes-puffing, beret-clad Monsieurs enjoying a game of pétanque in the Provençal sunshine is about as idiosyncratically-French as it gets.
- During our lunch we try a game of pétanque with some stones that were lying around.
- Close to the hotel there is the Place des Lices, where the village men still play pétanque each afternoon.
French, from Provençal pèd tanco, literally 'foot fixed (to the ground)', describing the start position.
More definitions of pétanqueDefinition of pétanque in:
- The British & World English dictionary