nounchiefly North American
1A runner or competitor who sets the pace at the beginning of a race or competition, sometimes in order to help another runner break a record.
- Ridden by Angel Castillo and trained by Julio Ayala, Paso Real came from well of the pace and caught pacesetter Danzig Prince Race, with less than one furlong to go for the win.
- Race favorite and early pacesetter Gilgames, faded badly once entering the stretch to finish last, beaten 35 1/4 lengths in a well spread out field of ten.
- Northerly raced forwardly behind pacesetter Dash For Cash and was sent to the lead just before the home turn, a move that sealed the race.
1.1A person or organization viewed as taking the lead or setting standards of achievement for others: Alaska is the pacesetter when it comes to salaries for teachers
More example sentences
- Our coaches are now following with keen attention the performances of Soviet men gymnasts who are now in the lead, and the Soviet women have always been the pacesetters.
- A former musician himself, Souriall said that Hollywood Records has been a pacesetter among record companies which traditionally are sluggish in mining the fields of corporate relationships and sponsorships.
- The Brumbies scored four tries for a bonus point and are the pacesetters in the competition with fellow Australians the Waratahs.
pacesetting adjective& noun
- Example sentences
- Two Trail Sioux, who snapped a five-race win streak in her previous start, was back on track Saturday as she flew to a pacesetting win in the $330,000 Fleur de Lis Handicap at Churchill Downs.
- The pacesetting electrical slow waves of the intestine, described in Chapter V, account both for the constant fundamental period of rhythmic contractions and for the progression of peristaltic contractions.
- Stern and his colleagues soon had to emigrate; Stern came to the US but never regained a pacesetting role in research.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of pacesetter in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.