Definition of packet in English:
1A paper or cardboard container, typically one in which goods are packed to be sold: a packet of cigarettes
More example sentences
- We were surprised to receive a bowl containing individual paper packets of sugar with our coffee.
- A big pint mug came out of one, a packet of loose tea and a bag of sugar out of another.
- No problem, said Jim as he reached for a big mixing bowl and a packet of flour.
1.1The contents of a packet.
- So I added the seasoning packet, stirred it vigorously, and removed from heat.
- Pour the couscous and the seasoning packet into a large saucepan.
1.2A block of data transmitted across a network.
- Packet switching involves dividing messages into packets and individually transmitting them across the network to their destination.
- But the method can also be used for other applications, as traffic control of data packets on a communication network.
- Packet loss describes an error condition in which data packets appear to be transmitted correctly at one end of a connection, but never arrive at the other end.
2 (also packet boat) dated A ship traveling at regular intervals between two ports, originally for the conveyance of mail.
- It was built to serve the mail packet boat from Milford Haven.
- His shipboard view of a Dutch packet boat crossing the Channel conveys vividly both the exhilaration and the discomfort inherent in such a crossing.
- Pittsford has a number of retail stores and restaurants that are built around an old lumber mill and it is the home of the Sam Patch, an excursion and charter boat that is a replica of an old canal packet boat.
verb (packets, packeting, packeted)[with object] Back to top
Make up into or wrap up in a packet: packet a basket of take-out and head for Gooseberry Beach
More example sentences
- We spent afternoons picking wild strawberries and raspberries and wildflowers, which were carefully packeted up and sent home to cheer everyone up.
- On Fridays the cashier used to come down into the room with a tray holding the wages all packeted up.
Words that rhyme with packetBlackett, bracket, jacket, placket, racket
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.