noun (plural same or paddlefishes)
A large, mainly freshwater fish related to the sturgeon, with an elongated snout.
- The plankton-feeding Polyodon spathula of the Mississippi basin, and the fish-eating Psephurus gladius of the Yangtze River, the only surviving members of the family Polyodontidae
More example sentences
- American paddlefish are mainly freshwater fish but can survive in brackish water.
- Since sturgeons and paddlefish have lost many traits of most bony fish - they lack scales and have a cartilaginous skeleton - their fossil records are very sparse.
- Within the Chondrostei, only sturgeons, bichirs and paddlefishes survive today, and many are threatened.
Definition of paddlefish in:
- The British & World English dictionary