Definition of paddock in English:
1A small field or enclosure where horses are kept or exercised.
- What is required to make the fence adequate depends upon the horses confined behind it, the proximity of the paddock or pasture to the highway, and the nature of the highway.
- Residents in Little Lever have objected to plans to build an exercise paddock for horses at the rear of their homes.
- The horses in the paddocks were whinnying and nickering, and our mares called out in response.
1.1An enclosure adjoining a racetrack where horses are gathered and displayed before a race.
- No hunting took place, but a crowd gathered around the racecourse paddock to hear a number of speeches.
- What is now largely settled land on the more direct route was at that time paddocks and stables for race horses, and it seemed to me then that I passed through a kind of wild route to get home.
- But there was a stroke of good fortune for Fallon in the paddock before the race as Gift Horse lashed out with his hind legs, narrowly missing the jockey.
verb[with object] (usually be paddocked) Back to top
Keep or enclose (a horse) in a paddock: horses paddocked on a hillside
More example sentences
- I keep trying to get him to sit down, but he insists on checking all the stalls and paddocks himself even though I've already done it twice.
- Finally Angus would take the horse back to paddock and feed it.
- In terms of implications for animal welfare, the results of this in-depth study suggest that young horses should be paddocked or provided with enriched stabling environments, ideally with access to pasture, to improve their behaviour and physiological well-being.
Early 17th century: apparently a variant of dialect parrock, of unknown ultimate origin.
Words that rhyme with paddockCaradoc, haddock, shaddock
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan