nounNorth American • informal
- A police van.More example sentences
- The protesters refused, and a few minutes later the police arrived with a paddy wagon.
- Demonstrators attempted to prevent the arrest by blocking access to a police paddy wagon which had showed up to carry the mime away.
- All this time, the person is locked in the paddy wagon with the police standing around outside, talking to the medical staff.
1930s: paddy from Paddy, perhaps because formerly many American police officers were of Irish descent.
More definitions of paddy wagonDefinition of paddy wagon in:
- The British & World English dictionary