- A detachable lock hanging by a pivoted hook on the object fastened.More example sentences
- It was locked with a padlock, and padlocks are especially easy to pick.
- Pin-tumbler locking mechanisms make padlocks harder to pick.
- The briefcase is now locked with two padlocks so no one can get the present.
verb[with object] (usually as adjective padlocked) Back to top
- Secure with a padlock: a padlocked doorMore example sentences
lock (up), fasten, secure
- One gate is padlocked - but chained so carelessly a man could squeeze through the gap with ease.
- Members of council noted that media reports of the incident had frightened seniors who are now padlocking their doors.
- Andy was padlocked behind a steel door when I arrived.
late 15th century: from pad- (of unknown origin) + the noun lock1.