Definition of padre in English:
1The title of a priest or chaplain in some regions.
- While he is the Catholic Chaplain, and there are a number of other denominations among the coalition of the clergy, Father Pat believes the padres offer more than just spiritual guidance.
- College padre Father David Kelly told how Anglican-raised Mr Hilder had decided to make the move to Catholicism two years ago after feeling ‘stronger and stronger’ about his beliefs.
- It was in a spot like this that Illyn experienced the epiphany that led him to become God's padre of wild places.
1.1 informal A chaplain (typically a Roman Catholic chaplain) in any of the armed services.
- Fred, freshly ordained as a Presbyterian minister was about to start service as a patrolling padre for the Australian Inland Mission.
- An Army padre led the service with readings by several Defence personnel.
- Guidance provided by a unit chaplain can extend beyond religion and away from the barracks, with padres deploying to the field in support of the troops.