Definition of padre in English:
1The title of a priest or chaplain in some regions.
- While he is the Catholic Chaplain, and there are a number of other denominations among the coalition of the clergy, Father Pat believes the padres offer more than just spiritual guidance.
- College padre Father David Kelly told how Anglican-raised Mr Hilder had decided to make the move to Catholicism two years ago after feeling ‘stronger and stronger’ about his beliefs.
- It was in a spot like this that Illyn experienced the epiphany that led him to become God's padre of wild places.
1.1 informal A chaplain (typically a Roman Catholic chaplain) in any of the armed services.
- Fred, freshly ordained as a Presbyterian minister was about to start service as a patrolling padre for the Australian Inland Mission.
- An Army padre led the service with readings by several Defence personnel.
- Guidance provided by a unit chaplain can extend beyond religion and away from the barracks, with padres deploying to the field in support of the troops.
Words that rhyme with padreCastlereagh • beret • sempre
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan