Definition of painkiller in English:
A drug or medicine for relieving pain.
- Over-the-counter painkiller or anti-inflammatory medicine such as Ibuprofen should reduce pain and swelling.
- The pain of shingles may be relieved by painkillers such as paracetamol.
- For moderate pain, painkillers such as paracetamol may help to provide relief.
- Example sentences
- An infusion of painkilling medicine may be given into a vein (via a ‘drip’).
- There are many other alternative painkilling and anti-inflammatory medicines available.
- The anaesthetist will also use strong painkilling drugs to control pain during and after surgery.