- A small long-billed wading bird that has brown plumage with colorful markings.
More example sentences
- Family Rostratulidae: two species, in particular Rostratula benghalensis of the Old World
- You can admire the fine pencilling of plumage, the perfection of colour, design and finish: the plumage of the painted snipe, for example was like finely worked bronze.
- A female Marsh harrier was chasing a male painted snipe in flight.
- One species - the greater painted snipe - appears to be the exception proving his rule: only the females are territorial and only they have elongated tracheas.
More definitions of painted snipeDefinition of painted snipe in:
- The British & World English dictionary