Definition of painting in English:
1The process or art of using paint, in a picture, as a protective coating, or as decoration.
- After studying painting and graphic design locally, he went to the United States to further his art education.
- For example, in art we are familiar with the genres of painting, drawing, sculpture and engraving.
- The art of painting, many artists believed, ought to have grander aspirations.
1.1A painted picture: an oil painting
More example sentences
- He gave many of his sketches and paintings as gifts to doctors, nurses and hospital staff.
- The museum is a collection of paintings, posters and artwork all in the name of peace.
- He will see four of his paintings hanging on the walls, including one, pictured, of a cat.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia