1The process or art of using paint, in a picture, as a protective coating, or as decoration.
- After studying painting and graphic design locally, he went to the United States to further his art education.
- For example, in art we are familiar with the genres of painting, drawing, sculpture and engraving.
- The art of painting, many artists believed, ought to have grander aspirations.
1.1A painted picture: an oil painting
More example sentences
- He gave many of his sketches and paintings as gifts to doctors, nurses and hospital staff.
- The museum is a collection of paintings, posters and artwork all in the name of peace.
- He will see four of his paintings hanging on the walls, including one, pictured, of a cat.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.