A white New Zealander, as opposed to a Maori.
- So it's a mystery why, unique in the world, some European New Zealanders refer to themselves as pakehas - an insulting name originally applied by the Maoris to the fair-skinned Imperialists who were in the process of conquering them!‘.
- In the same speech he uttered the weighty words ‘Maori and pakeha are both indigenous people to New Zealand now‘.
- The latest New Zealand Census-Mortality Study shows that Maori die younger than pakeha, even after controlling for socioeconomic status.
Relating to white New Zealanders and their languages and culture.
- His book details his family's land battles, his brother's notorious murder charge and his uneasy existence in a two-sided world (born of a Maori father and a pakeha mother).
- There were storytellers on both the Maori and the pakeha sides of my family.
- From what friends and family tell me this has split the Maori and pakeha camps and is causing bitter resentment.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Pakeha in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.