noun (plural paleae /-lēˌē, -lēˌī/)Botany
- The upper bract of the floret of a grass. Compare with lemma2.More example sentences
- Each flower has a lemma (outer bract) and a palea (inner bract) at its base, and contains two lodicules and one pistil surrounded by three anthers.
- For all studies, fresh barley grains were extracted in triplicate (after removing the glumes and paleae and keeping the pericarp - aleurone intact) and analysed in duplicate.
- The lemma is inserted on the rachilla (the spikelet axis) and, together with the palea, encloses the floret.
mid 18th century: from Latin, literally 'chaff'.
More definitions of paleaDefinition of palea in:
- The British & World English dictionary