Definition of paleomagnetism in English:
The branch of geophysics concerned with the magnetism in rocks that was induced by the earth’s magnetic field at the time of their formation.
- In an attempt to resolve this conundrum, we have carried out multidisciplinary research involving field studies, radiometric dating, geochemistry, palaeontology and palaeomagnetism.
- Conglomerate tests are applied to mechanically disaggregated clasts of a formation whose palaeomagnetism is under investigation.
- From palaeomagnetism we can determine palaeolatitude and the rotation of a terrane through time, but the palaeomagnetic data give no insight into palaeolongitude.
- Example sentences
- This project will gather geochronological, paleomagnetic and geochemical data required to test the hypothesis that the Umkondo and Laurentian provinces are expressions of a single large-scale magmatic event.
- The paradigm of plate tectonics was finally accepted by the majority of the geoscience community and the use of palaeomagnetic data to interpret continental drift began in earnest.
- The Late Palaeozoic palaeomagnetic database for Siberia is poor apart from Late Permian times.
Definition of paleomagnetism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan