Definition of palette in English:
1A thin board or slab on which an artist lays and mixes colors.
- The artist's easel, paint box, palettes, paintbrushes and dried tubes of paint occupied a corner.
- The inventory of the contents of his studio made for probate purposes after his death lists a few standard items of equipment - easels, palettes, canvases - but nothing to hint at any unusual working method.
- The portrait is dominated by her own image, holding a palette and a paintbrush in her hands.
1.1The range of colors used by a particular artist or in a particular picture: I choose a palette of natural, earthy colors
More example sentences
- His minimalist style of drawing and limited palette of colours are far from painterly, however.
- In this, the colour palette is darker and the drawings simpler and more stylised.
- Its restrained palette, the sinuous, loopy drawing, and the interplay of seemingly simple forms and planes present a highly cerebral visual game.
1.2The range or variety of tonal or instrumental color in a musical piece: he commands the sort of tonal palette that this music needs
More example sentences
- His dazzling virtuosity and sweeping tonal palette made the music truly live.
- His musical palette constantly overflows with colour, never garish yet sometimes opulent and sometimes sombre.
- She manages beautifully subtle shifts in tempo without crossing over into the soupy, and she applies a large palette of tonal color tastefully.
1.3(In computer graphics) the range of colors or shapes available to the user.
- The first lesson details the basics, such as the minimum requirements, and customising the work area, palettes and user interface.
- For example, using tool palettes, users can apply the Door tool to openings, windows and door and window assemblies, converting those objects to door objects.
- As I mentioned before, most of the useful tools are available as tabbed palettes, and this includes several image transformation tools.
Words that rhyme with palettemallet, pallet, valet
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan