Definition of pan-Arabism in English:
The principle or advocacy of political alliance or union of all the Arab states.
- In those days it went under a variety of different labels: anti-imperialism, anti-Zionism, Arab socialism, pan-Arabism.
- It abandoned its previous advocacy of pan-Arabism for an Iraqi nationalism centered on the interests of the Sunni elite of the north.
- Palestinian nationalism has had a shifting relationship to Arab nationalism and pan-Arabism.
- Example sentences
- The demonstration, held outside the supreme court, was a collaboration between radical pan-Arab nationalists and socialists.
- The first Communist MP in the Arab world was elected in 1954, while the nationalist Baath Party's vision of pan-Arab unity to defeat imperialism found a growing audience.
- The station generally advances a pan-Arab nationalist political line and is used by the Qatar government as an occasional instrument of policy.
Definition of pan-Arabism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan