Definition of pan-German in English:
1Of, relating to, or advocating pan-Germanism.
- Angell puzzled over how pre-World War I pan-German politicians could believe that German prosperity required a big battle fleet when the absence of one made no difference to the prosperity of Norway, Denmark or Holland.
- It was only once the war began and Britain joined in that an extravagant pan-German annexationist program materialized.
- Both expressed the view that German hegemony should extend throughout what came to be referred to in pan-German circles as Mitteleuropa.
1.1Of, relating to, or including both East and West Germany.
- That's the strongest such rise in the history of pan-German data and well above all forecasts.
- The first meeting of the European Social Fund Pan-German Committee is scheduled for 15 July in Frankfurt.
- A pan-German residential property investment company announces further investments for the second tranche of funds raised.
- Example sentences
- For the Viennese positivists, Heidegger's work is the return to a reactionary, anti-scientific metaphysics, which is allied politically to pan-Germanic aspirations.
- He was, however, German-national-oriented, and he was a sympathizer of the pan-Germanic movement.
- These ancient texts are the foremost significant documentations of the pre-Christian, pan-Germanic culture, religion, and its mythology.
Definition of pan-German in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan