Definition of pan-Indian in English:
1Of or relating to the whole of India, or to all its ethnic, religious, or linguistic groups.
- But the richness of the experience and the authentic Bengali touch has now given way to ‘catered’ banquets that serve over-spiced and greasy fare that is vaguely pan-Indian in form and very un-Indian in taste.
- ‘There's only now becoming a more pan-Indian sense of what Native food can be.’
- The legendary Jiggs Kalra and the doyen of Ayurvedic food, Pushpesh Pant, have launched Moksh, the first pan-Indian vegetarian restaurant, with a live interactive kitchen, at The Chancery on Lavelle Road.
2Denoting or relating to a cultural movement or religious practice participated in by many or all American Indian peoples.
- No Cherokee social dances have survived, but some Cherokees have joined in the pan-Indian practice of powwow dancing.
- Hook notes that this pan-Indian approach to cultural renewal is not unique to the Alabama-Coushattas.
- While the urban Indian experience fostered a pan-Indian identity and led to a number of political movements, it was not immune from tension.
Definition of pan-Indian in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan