Definition of panacea in English:
- Many people in the United States think that screening is a panacea, a way of warding off disease and staying healthy perhaps forever.
- Furthermore, he said, it was not reasonable to expect the sauna to be a panacea for so many diseases.
- If those consumers think the drug industrial monopolists already charge too much for pills and panaceas, just wait until the privately patented and monopolized ‘stem cell cures’ hit the market…
- Example sentences
- It's a tale with a panacean, if twisted, appeal to single women as well.
- Among Oriental peoples the panacean use of Panax ginseng persists today as it has for centuries.
- After all, there is no panacean spend management solution, even though there are a number of platforms that cover different aspects of spend management.
This word for a ‘remedy to heal all diseases’ came via Latin from Greek panakeia, from panakēs ‘all-healing’ formed from pan ‘all’ and akos ‘remedy’. The sense ‘solution for all problems’ dates from the early 17th century.
Words that rhyme with panaceaadhere, Agadir, Anglosphere, appear, arrear, auctioneer, austere, balladeer, bandolier, Bashkir, beer, besmear, bier, blear, bombardier, brigadier, buccaneer, cameleer, career, cashier, cavalier, chandelier, charioteer, cheer, chevalier, chiffonier, clavier, clear, Coetzee, cohere, commandeer, conventioneer, Cordelier, corsetière, Crimea, dear, deer, diarrhoea (US diarrhea), domineer, Dorothea, drear, ear, electioneer, emir, endear, engineer, fear, fleer, Freer, fusilier, gadgeteer, Galatea, gazetteer, gear, gondolier, gonorrhoea (US gonorrhea), Greer, grenadier, hand-rear, hear, here, Hosea, idea, interfere, Izmir, jeer, Judaea, Kashmir, Keir, kir, Korea, Lear, leer, Maria, marketeer, Medea, Meir, Melilla, mere, Mia, Mir, mishear, mountaineer, muleteer, musketeer, mutineer, near, orienteer, pamphleteer, paneer, peer, persevere, pier, Pierre, pioneer, pistoleer, privateer, profiteer, puppeteer, racketeer, ratafia, rear, revere, rhea, rocketeer, Sapir, scrutineer, sear, seer, sere, severe, Shamir, shear, sheer, sincere, smear, sneer, sonneteer, souvenir, spear, sphere, steer, stere, summiteer, Tangier, tear, tier, Trier, Tyr, veer, veneer, Vere, Vermeer, vizier, volunteer, Wear, weir, we're, year, Zaïre
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.