Definition of pancake in English:
1A thin, flat cake of batter, usually fried and turned in a pan. Pancakes are usually eaten with syrup or rolled up with a filling.
- I cook risotto and cakes, puddings and pancakes.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to form 36 pancakes and reserve.
- Those that wisely left room for dessert can sample the variety of delicious ice cream cakes, or choose a pancake with a sweet filling of their choice.
1.1 (also pancake makeup) Makeup consisting of a flat solid layer of compressed powder, widely used in the theater.
- Apply layers of pancake make-up, in the style of kabuki theatre.
- It is notable for her freckles, which were normally hidden from filmgoers under a layer of pancake make-up.
- As a courtesy to the viewers, put several layers of heavy pancake make-up on.
verbBack to top
1With reference to an aircraft) make or cause to make a pancake landing. [with object] he pancaked it in about twenty meters
More example sentences
- The pilot reported that he used his remaining airspeed to get over a seawall, stalled the airplane, and pancaked onto the runway.
- In that case the pilot pulled a low altitude loop and pancaked, but he was able to eject in time.
- Bounce the plane on one landing gear back into the air and pancake it onto the parallel runway.
2 informal Flatten or become flattened: [no object]: the hotel had pancaked into a heap of concrete
More example sentences
- Thousands streamed back last week to find entire areas flattened and their houses pancaked and pulverised.
- Then the second building started pancaking down.
- The whole building is constructed to pancake rather than spill everywhere.
(as) flat as a pancake
- Completely flat.Example sentences
- A full 45 minutes' worth would crush you flat as a pancake.
- Britain's urban house market may be flat as a pancake, but out in the smarter shires, it's a tale of two very different sorts of properties.
- Being as how the fens are flat as a pancake, and the cathedral is a very big building on top of a medium-sized hill, it's pretty visible.
Words that rhyme with pancakebackache • teacake
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.