Definition of pancake in English:
1A thin, flat cake of batter, usually fried and turned in a pan. Pancakes are usually eaten with syrup or rolled up with a filling.
- I cook risotto and cakes, puddings and pancakes.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to form 36 pancakes and reserve.
- Those that wisely left room for dessert can sample the variety of delicious ice cream cakes, or choose a pancake with a sweet filling of their choice.
1.1 (also pancake makeup) Makeup consisting of a flat solid layer of compressed powder, widely used in the theater.
- Apply layers of pancake make-up, in the style of kabuki theatre.
- It is notable for her freckles, which were normally hidden from filmgoers under a layer of pancake make-up.
- As a courtesy to the viewers, put several layers of heavy pancake make-up on.
verbBack to top
1With reference to an aircraft) make or cause to make a pancake landing: [with object] he pancaked it in about twenty meters
More example sentences
- The pilot reported that he used his remaining airspeed to get over a seawall, stalled the airplane, and pancaked onto the runway.
- In that case the pilot pulled a low altitude loop and pancaked, but he was able to eject in time.
- Bounce the plane on one landing gear back into the air and pancake it onto the parallel runway.
2 informal Flatten or become flattened: [no object]: the hotel had pancaked into a heap of concrete
More example sentences
- Thousands streamed back last week to find entire areas flattened and their houses pancaked and pulverised.
- Then the second building started pancaking down.
- The whole building is constructed to pancake rather than spill everywhere.
(as) flat as a pancake
- Completely flat.Example sentences
- A full 45 minutes' worth would crush you flat as a pancake.
- Britain's urban house market may be flat as a pancake, but out in the smarter shires, it's a tale of two very different sorts of properties.
- Being as how the fens are flat as a pancake, and the cathedral is a very big building on top of a medium-sized hill, it's pretty visible.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan