- Most topical is the risk of pandemic influenza, which seems to be the highest in three decades.
- Mr Abbott today announced that the government would speed up funding for research into pandemic influenza.
- It is a remarkable achievement which increases Britain's ability to cope with pandemic flu, should it happen.
- Two highly contagious enteroviruses are known to cause epidemics and pandemics of acute haemorrhagic conjunctivitis.
- Women also face severe constraints because of outbreak of pandemics like HIV / AIDS and other diseases.
- Influenza pandemics are global outbreaks that emerge infrequently and unpredictably and involve strains of virus to which humans have little or no immunity.
On the difference between pandemic, endemic, and epidemic, see epidemic (usage).
Mid 17th century: from Greek pandēmos (from pan 'all' + dēmos 'people') + -ic.
Words that rhyme with pandemicacademic, alchemic, endemic, epidemic, polemic, totemic
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.