Definition of pangolin in English:
An African and Asian mammal that has a body covered with horny overlapping scales, a small head with elongated snout, a long sticky tongue for catching ants and termites, and a thick, tapering tail. Also called scaly anteater.
- Family Manidae and order Pholidota: genera Manis (three species in Asia) and Phataginus (four species in Africa)
- In contrast with the Xenarthra, the Old World Pholidota is not trophically diverse and contains only the myrmecophagous pangolins, or scaly anteaters.
- An alternative strategy can be seen in anteaters and pangolins: the tongue has lost most of its cranial attachments.
- Like pangolins, aardvarks have a long, protrusile tongue and a gizzard-like stomach.
late 18th century: from Malay peng-guling, literally 'roller' (from its habit of rolling into a ball).
Words that rhyme with pangolinbowline
Definition of pangolin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan