Definition of pangolin in English:
An African and Asian mammal that has a body covered with horny overlapping scales, a small head with elongated snout, a long sticky tongue for catching ants and termites, and a thick, tapering tail. Also called scaly anteater.
- Family Manidae and order Pholidota: genera Manis (three species in Asia) and Phataginus (four species in Africa)
- In contrast with the Xenarthra, the Old World Pholidota is not trophically diverse and contains only the myrmecophagous pangolins, or scaly anteaters.
- An alternative strategy can be seen in anteaters and pangolins: the tongue has lost most of its cranial attachments.
- Like pangolins, aardvarks have a long, protrusile tongue and a gizzard-like stomach.
Late 18th century: from Malay peng-guling, literally 'roller' (from its habit of rolling into a ball).
Words that rhyme with pangolinbowline
Definition of pangolin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.