Definition of panic buying in English:
The action of buying large quantities of a particular product or commodity due to sudden fears of a forthcoming shortage or price increase: panic buying by motorists compounded the situation—by the middle of the month, nearly all of the country’s gas stations had run dry
More example sentences
- Part two of my contingency plan addresses the food shortage caused by panic buying.
- The specter of the unfolding financial crisis incited some panic buying of Treasuries.
- However, following Nestlé's announcement earlier this month, there was panic buying of condensed milk across Scotland.
- panic-buy verb
- Example sentences
- The advice we've received is not to make any unnecessary car trips for four days and not to panic-buy gas.
- An Asda spokesman said he was confident they had enough stock as long as people did not panic-buy.
- Car drivers in some parts of the country have already started to panic-buy despite pleas to fill up cars as normal.
Definition of panic buying in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.