Definition of panmixia in English:
Random mating within a breeding population.
- Microsatellite markers revealed no particular departure from panmixia within each local population and a genetic structure consistent with isolation by distance.
- If the size of the effective breeding population is still greater, approaching panmixia in varying degrees, evolution will be slowed down considerably.
- With an extinction-colonization model, the probability of fixation can be much reduced relative to panmixia.
- Example sentences
- The ocean has been thought to have few boundaries, and marine species have been often perceived to be panmictic.
- Contrary to our expectation, populations within subspecies were essentially panmictic, despite behaviors, such as semicolonial nesting and philopatry, that might be expected to limit dispersal.
- Another long-standing question stemming from the eels' catadromous life history is whether conspecific populations from different locales within a continent have come from a panmictic spawn.
Definition of panmixia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.