Definition of panpsychism in English:
The doctrine or belief that everything material, however small, has an element of individual consciousness.
- One can, perhaps, describe the new mysterians, in a very liberal mood, as very cautious materialists (so cautious as to support dualism or panpsychism).
- A related more scientific-sounding version of animism is panpsychism.
- Panpsychism is the view that all things have a mind or a mind-like quality.
panpsychist adjective& noun
- Example sentences
- He offers a defense of panpsychist idealism, differing from other panpsychists in his notions of the Absolute, time, and the nature of the Unconscious.
- The panpsychist conception of mind must be sufficiently broad to plausibly encompass humans and non-human objects as well.
- One very real problem for consciousness from the panpsychist perspective is the scientific argument that energy and consciousness are not the same thing.
Definition of panpsychism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.