Definition of panpsychism in English:
The doctrine or belief that everything material, however small, has an element of individual consciousness.
- One can, perhaps, describe the new mysterians, in a very liberal mood, as very cautious materialists (so cautious as to support dualism or panpsychism).
- A related more scientific-sounding version of animism is panpsychism.
- Panpsychism is the view that all things have a mind or a mind-like quality.
panpsychist adjective& noun
- Example sentences
- He offers a defense of panpsychist idealism, differing from other panpsychists in his notions of the Absolute, time, and the nature of the Unconscious.
- The panpsychist conception of mind must be sufficiently broad to plausibly encompass humans and non-human objects as well.
- One very real problem for consciousness from the panpsychist perspective is the scientific argument that energy and consciousness are not the same thing.
Definition of panpsychism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia