- A protein-digesting enzyme obtained from unripe papaya fruit, used to tenderize meat and as a food supplement to aid digestion.More example sentences
- Rich in the protein-breaking enzyme papain, papaya is known to ease digestive complaints and for its anti-ulcer and antimicrobial effects.
- Proteolytic enzymes such as papain from papaya and bromelain from pineapple are used in extract form as meat tenderizers.
- This tropical fruit contains the enzyme papain, which researchers say aids digestion by helping your body break down proteins.
More definitions of papainDefinition of papain in:
- The British & World English dictionary