chiefly • historical
- A supporter of the papacy, especially an advocate of papal supremacy.More example sentences
- The entire context of Lumen gentium is inescapably ‘papalist,’ including an affirmation of papal authority stronger, if possible, than even Vatican I.
- The current Court is ‘papalist,’ issuing edicts from the top down, and he suggests one remedy is for Congress to be more assertive in giving definition to the Constitution.
- The most fanatical bull-on-the-breakfast-table papalist does not demand an order from the Pope before a Christian needs to behave like a decent person when faced by murder.
More definitions of papalistDefinition of papalist in:
- The British & World English dictionary