Definition of paper tape in English:
1Paper in the form of a long narrow strip.
- Dad would carefully cut the ends and then everyone would package the cigarettes in bundles of ten, secured with paper tape: 10 cigarettes, 30 yen.
- Use paper tape or a nonadherent dressing on frail skin and gently remove it.
- The surgeon will apply some sterile paper tape to support the eyelids after surgery, which is normally removed after three to five days.
1.1Paper in the form of a long narrow strip with holes punched in it, used in older computer systems for conveying data or instructions.
- A 35-year veteran of General Mills, he started as a computer operator working with punch cards and paper tape.
- With glowing valves and copious amounts of paper tape the Met Office finally embraced the computer age in 1959 and purchased a Ferranti Mercury, which was nicknamed Meteor.
- About the same time I was told that the paper tape as a means of computer input was dead.
Definition of paper tape in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.