nounchiefly North American
- The written evidence of someone’s activities: the paper trail led the FBI to him in just six daysMore example sentences
- The paper trail led far beyond the inspector to entrap top bureaucrats and key jurists in the web of corruption.
- Thus a paper trail has led US law enforcement to identify at least twelve of the hijackers with certainty.
- Last night the emergence of a clear paper trail over the visa application for his lover's nanny hastened the collapse of his own political credibility.
More definitions of paper trailDefinition of paper trail in:
- The British & World English dictionary