Definition of paper wasp in English:
A social wasp that forms a small, umbrella-shaped nest made from wood pulp.
- Genus Polistes, family Vespidae
- The word wasp almost immediately conjures up an image of hornets swarming from papery football-shaped nests, or the fierce stings of the common paper wasp.
- She's a paper wasp, specifically a member of the genus Polistes, the sort that builds small, open-celled, umbrella-like nests beneath eaves and picnic-shelter roofs.
- Native to North America, the paper wasp Polistes fuscatus lives in colonies of one or two queens, and usually fewer than a hundred workers.
Definition of paper wasp in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan