A social wasp that forms a small, umbrella-shaped nest made from wood pulp.
- Genus Polistes, family Vespidae
More example sentences
- The word wasp almost immediately conjures up an image of hornets swarming from papery football-shaped nests, or the fierce stings of the common paper wasp.
- She's a paper wasp, specifically a member of the genus Polistes, the sort that builds small, open-celled, umbrella-like nests beneath eaves and picnic-shelter roofs.
- Native to North America, the paper wasp Polistes fuscatus lives in colonies of one or two queens, and usually fewer than a hundred workers.
More definitions of paper waspDefinition of paper wasp in:
- The British & World English dictionary