- Of, relating to, or denoting leguminous plants of a group (subfamily Papilionoideae or family Papilionaceae) with flowers that resemble a butterfly.More example sentences
- The flowers have a typical papilionaceous corolla.
- Flowers of normal plants are typically papilionaceous with a large standard petal, two free-wing petals, and two fused-keel petals.
- The corolla of Trigonellinae is typically papilionaceous, comprising a standard petal, two wing petals and a keel made up of two marginally fused petals.
mid 17th century: from modern Latin Papilionaceae (plural), based on Latin papilio 'butterfly', + -ous.
More definitions of papilionaceousDefinition of papilionaceous in:
- The British & World English dictionary