Definition of parabiosis in English:
The anatomical joining of two individuals, especially artificially in physiological research.
- In this study, we demonstrated by parabiosis that type I alveolar epithelial cells and lung fibroblasts as well as interstitial monocytes/macrophages could be derived from circulating slem/progenitor cells.
- Mortality from the procedure was nil, and the health of animals after parabiosis was excellent, as is commonly observed.
- The effects of x-irradiation on bone growth were studied in pairs of rats during protracted parabiosis involving vascular anastomosis.
- Example sentences
- Culture of lung fibroblasts from wild-type mice of parabiotic pairs confirmed that 5 to 20% of lung fibreblasts could be derived from circulating blood, although such cells could not be cultured directly from blood.
- Abe and coworkers generated parabiotic mice by joining green fluorescent protein transgenic mice and wild-type littermates.
- The wild-type mice in parabiotic pairs that were given irradiation after vascular communication also maintained a common circulation (approximately 60% green ceils in blood) when assessed 2 weeks after irradiation.
Definition of parabiosis in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.