- A small parrot with predominantly green plumage and a long tail.
More example sentences
- Family Psittacidae: five genera, e.g., Psittacula of Asia and Africa and Cyanoramphus of Australasia, and many species
- The echo parakeet is probably the most intensively managed bird in the world today, and it frustrates Jones that endangered species elsewhere are not supported with the same offensive onslaught.
- He has shared his yard north of Santa Monica, California, with many species of birds, including the black-hooded parakeet, for 25 years.
- Crows, Cuckoos and Parakeets are very destructive, parakeets not only destroy fruit tree buds but also raid nests and kill nestlings.
mid 16th century: from Old French paroquet, Italian parrocchetto, and Spanish periquito; origin uncertain, perhaps (via Italian) based on a diminutive meaning 'little wig', referring to head plumage, or (via Spanish) based on a diminutive of the given name Pedro.
More definitions of parakeetDefinition of parakeet in:
- The British & World English dictionary