1The state of being parallel or of corresponding in some way.
- Elsewhere, Kothari instructs the spectator to ‘look for the symmetrical reduplication and repetitive parallelism of dance patterns’.
- Such parallelism can be both literary and historical; the two are not mutually exclusive.
- Chris Baldick finds interesting parallelisms to this concept of defamiliarization in both Romantic poetry and in Brecht's theatre.
1.1The use of successive verbal constructions in poetry or prose that correspond in grammatical structure, sound, meter, meaning, etc.
- In Psalms, to which St John the Baptist alludes, the trope of the ‘bridegroom’ occurs in a series of parallelisms, balanced by an explicitly competitive image.
- Aside from the Yiddish / Hebrew parallelisms, Gordin's text sometimes uses two consecutive adjectives that basically have the same meaning, in order to double their effect.
- An analysis of this speech reveals that the student used varied repetition strategies, including anaphora, antithesis, chiasmus, and parallelism.
1.2The use of parallel processing in computer systems.
- Supercomputing is, almost exclusively, parallel computing, in which parallelism is available at all hardware and software levels of the system and in all dimensions of the system.
- To begin with, it is based on a grid architecture that uses a shared-nothing distributed approach and deploys performance features such as multi-threading, pipeline parallelism and partitioning.
- Thus, continued improvement in supercomputer performance at current rates will require a massive increase in parallelism, requiring significant research progress in algorithms and software.
- Example sentences
- He published a Book of Mormon reformatted to reveal poetic and parallelistic structures a number of years ago.
- The purpose of this paper is to draw attention to a hitherto generally unobserved feature of the parallelistic couplet in Hebrew poetry, a feature which may offer a point of departure for a revised perception of the nature of the parallelistic couplet as such.
Definition of parallelism in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.