(Of an unofficial force) organized similarly to a military force: soldiers and police have been killed in conflicts with the drug cartels and their paramilitary allies
More example sentences
- And what sort of training does this paramilitary police force give such conscripts?
- Local police, paramilitary police and military units have now surrounded the building.
- The raids killed or captured paramilitary forces and captured a number of large arms and ammunition in caches.
noun (plural paramilitaries)
A member of an unofficial paramilitary organization.
- The struggle in Chocó is but one stage on which the guerrillas and right-wing paramilitaries are fighting their war.
- The right-wing paramilitaries also gain much of their revenue from the drug trade.
- British troops report civilians are telling them where the paramilitaries hide.
Words that rhyme with paramilitarymilitary
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of paramilitary in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.