Definition of parapente in English:
1.1The parachute used for parapente.
- The pair fell off the edge, as they tried to take off in a double-harnessed parapente, a large parachute like a hang-glider.
- He [was going to] jump from the summit with a parapente.
- As she reaches a point where the slope steepens slightly, she is airborne, joining the dozen parapentes and hang gliders that are already visible circling above the town.
verb[no object] Back to top
Glide using an airfoil parachute.
- Five years later, a solo Japanese climber who tried to parapente from the top of Nameless Tower was blown back into the wall and left stranded without food for six days until another team could descend Great Trango and climb Nameless to fetch him.
- Apparently, Iquique is one of the best places in South America to parapente because of the air currents and wind - and the great views.
- 1parapenter noun
- Example sentences
- Well look out onto the lakes, see jet-boats whizzing around; look up at the mountains, see parapenters jumping off everywhere, hang-gliders jumping off.
- All around me I can hear whoops and yells from other parapenters.
- A fifteen minute walk takes you to where the parapenters take off.
1980s: from French, from para(chute) + pente 'slope'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.