Definition of parasitize in English:
Infest or exploit (an organism or part) as a parasite.
- Entamoeba are unicellular eukaryotes that frequently parasitize vertebrate species including human.
- The order Strepsiptera are obligate endoparasitic insects that are known to parasitize seven insect orders, including solitary and social Hymenoptera.
- However, in great spotted cuckoos thick-shelled eggs have not evolved for the same reason because this species parasitizes large birds that do not need to puncture the parasitic egg because they can easily grasp it.
- Example sentences
- Multicellular organisms continually defend themselves against parasitization by potentially harmful microbes.
- We tested the reproductive compensation hypothesis against the alternative hypothesis that parasitization depresses host resource allocation to reproduction.
- The idea that parasitization can be reduced through song modification has found some support in the finding that female flies show a ‘preference’ for certain song types.
Pronunciation: /ˌparəsiˌtīˈzāSHən/ /-sī-/noun
Definition of parasitize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.