Definition of parasitize in English:
Infest or exploit (an organism or part) as a parasite.
- Entamoeba are unicellular eukaryotes that frequently parasitize vertebrate species including human.
- The order Strepsiptera are obligate endoparasitic insects that are known to parasitize seven insect orders, including solitary and social Hymenoptera.
- However, in great spotted cuckoos thick-shelled eggs have not evolved for the same reason because this species parasitizes large birds that do not need to puncture the parasitic egg because they can easily grasp it.
- Example sentences
- Multicellular organisms continually defend themselves against parasitization by potentially harmful microbes.
- We tested the reproductive compensation hypothesis against the alternative hypothesis that parasitization depresses host resource allocation to reproduction.
- The idea that parasitization can be reduced through song modification has found some support in the finding that female flies show a ‘preference’ for certain song types.
Pronunciation: /ˌparəsiˌtīˈzāSHən, -sī-/noun
Definition of parasitize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan