- Partly cook (food) by boiling.More example sentences
- To make it on the stove top, sauté the onion and garlic, parboil the potato and then let everything simmer for as long as possible to let the flavours meld together.
- I parboiled new potatoes and tossed them with apple cider vinegar, olive oil, sea salt, and rosemary from the garden, and then we piled them into a wide cazuela and slid them into the oven to finish.
- Note: there is no need to parboil meat if not using chicken.
late Middle English: from Old French parbouillir, from late Latin perbullire 'boil thoroughly', from Latin per- 'through, thoroughly' (later confused with part) + bullire 'to boil'.
More definitions of parboilDefinition of parboil in:
- The British & World English dictionary