Definition of parricide in English:
1The killing of a parent or other near relative.
- The work ends on a heart-stopping note: A man and woman step forward and read names of those wrongly convicted for murder, parricide, rape, child molestation, with the length of imprisonment.
- While Oedipus loses his ability to name his parents due to his incest and parricide, Augustus loses his power to recognize parricide and incest because he has been denied the freedom to know his parentage.
- The Fast Runner, the first feature made in the Inuit language, tells an ancient tale of how an evil spirit descended on a tribe, causing a blood feud that involved treachery, adultery, and parricide.
1.1A person who commits parricide.
- Now, when we see that in Rome the parricide was whipped with the red twigs of the cornel tree, an arbor infelix, the conclusion seems evident.
- Example sentences
- Repression of both incestuous and parricidal wishes take place and with this a recognition of the father as authority (represented in the film by the court case), the capacity for conscience, guilt and concern, the superego.
- Morphological changes caused by parricidal increase seem to be the same as in other cases.
- He derides Bloom for ‘his sentimental discrediting of influence’, and calls the theory of the anxiety of influence a ‘melodramatic sub-Freudian parricidal scenario’.
Definition of parricide in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.